Sunday, June 19, 2011

Our Father's Day

Today is father's day. I first became a father over 30 years ago. Like a lot of people, father's day never meant anywhere near as much to me as did mother's day. For me, that changed about 10 years ago when my dad died. I realized that he'd been basically a pillar of support to my family, both when I was a child, and then later when I was grown. I expect that is the same for most of us. You never known how much any person means to you until he or she is gone.

This made me begin to think about they way we view our Lord in heaven. He is our Father. Jesus also refers to Him as His Father. Do we see Him as merely the Father of Jesus, or are we seeing Him as the Father of us all, and all of creation?

From the bible, as Jesus taught us to pray...

"After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen." (Mat 6:9-13)kjv

I can almost hear the music playing in the background... can you?

Take a little time out today to thank the Lord for being our God, our Creator and our Father. Not one of us would be here, otherwise.



Our Father


You are in heaven,


Your Name is holy to us.


All of existance is Your kingdom!


What You want will come true


here on earth,


just as it does in heaven!


Thank-you for your care


and for providing us with food.


Please forgive our wrongdoings


and help us to forgive those who have harmed us.


Please help me resist temptation,


and keep evil away.


Father, Yours is the kingdom!


Yours is all power!


Yours is all glory,


eternally!


Amen!




Till we meet again in paradise!

No comments: