Tuesday, July 8, 2008

She's My Miracle

Seven years ago, God blessed me with a miracle. Her name is Trish, and she came into my life when it seemed to me that life was no longer worth living. But, let me back up a few years...

I married my first wife 35 years ago. I carefully chose her for all the wrong reasons. She was really cute, fairly short, but not too bright. This is what I was seeking. You see, her being good looking meant (to me) that I must have something going for me, right? If she were short, it made me look more impressive, and likewise, not being too intelligent made me look smarter by comparison. None of these reasons have anything to do with God's plan.

Our marriage was basically in trouble from day one, but stubborn determination, 2 kids, and my becoming a Christian part-way through helped to keep us together for 23 years. She had a lot of mental problems, but I contributed my share of irritants, too. She ran off with her best friend's husband, even so, I spent a few years trying to get us back together again. I had the kids, and after the eldest grew up, and moved on, it seemed to me that my life would surely end when the youngest reached adulthood. I wasn't planning that anything would happen, I was simply sure my life would be over then.

I had a lot of health problems that seemed to reinforce these beliefs. Mostly, I waited on my demise, neither looking forward to it, nor dreading it.

Then God sent the miracle into my life. I received an invitation from a company to sign up for a pen-pal. Usually, I tossed such stuff out. This time, for some reason, I looked into it. After much filtering-out of individuals that nobody would care to meet, I ran across a woman who'd had a horrible childhood, primarily featuring periods of various forms of abuse. She'd been hurt so badly, over so many years, that I was amazed to find her functional, at all. I wrote her to assure her that I was certain that God had placed someone on this earth for her, and to not give up hope. This was May 19th, 2001. Little did I realize, the someone God had picked out for her, was me.

After about a month, our email "conversations" had reached several per day.I began to be more and more supportive to her, and she began to mean a lot to me. As I still had a son at home, she flew in on July 3rd, for a visit. We were married on July 9th.

Seven incredible years! Oh, thank-you, God! I realized she was the one God had intended for me from the beginning. She is now more able to deal with what was done to her, and while my health problems have only gotten much worse, I no longer look forward to the day when I can call it quits.

I figured out, once, that the odds of our ever meeting at all were several billion to one. But God is in charge, and odds don't matter.

So, why am I writing this, now? As of the 9th of July, 2008, we've been married for 7 years. She is my couterpart, the Eve to my Adam, my soulmate! I finally understand that God knows best.

Put Him in charge of your life, it will be the best thing you've ever done. Afterward, you will certainly say, "Thanks, God!"

Mr Mike

1 comment:

E @ Scottsville said...

Awwwwww, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY guys!
=0)

And thanks for all you do!