Friday, July 18, 2008

The Witness

I saw Your star above the earth.
Oh! It filled my heart with joy!
It shined God’s pleasure in Your birth,
and His pride in You, His boy.

I saw You in a straw-filled barn,
Your head pillowed by the hay.
Your mother watched, to keep from harm
God’s own baby, born that day.

I saw You with some wise men then
and You were no more than twelve.
You spoke of love, and God, and sin,
and the banishment of hell.

I saw You at a wedding feast
with Your mother and some friends.
The wine You made was proclaimed best,
so the groom could make amends.

I saw You near the temple walls,
Your voice spoke with rage and ire;
"My Father’s house, not pirate stalls,
get out or you’ll feel His fire!"

I saw You feed five thousand men
with two small fish and some loaves.
And when the scraps they picked up then,
twelve baskets full did they show.

I saw You teach near Galilee,
And the words You spoke rang true.
You said You’d come to rescue me
if only I’d follow You.

In Gethsemane, I heard You cry,
and I paused and listened, then.
What I heard made me ask God, "Why?
Must You pay for all my sins?"

I saw You up on Calgary,
and my tears were like the sea.
Your pain and death and agony
You did offer up for me.

I saw You in a stranger’s tomb,
and the night dared make no sound.
I thought man’s end must surely loom
when Your Father’s wrath came ‘round.

I saw You rise with Glory’s cheer!
God’s Son lives! No more to die!
It’s You I love! Your voice I hear!
Your praise alone will I cry!
.
'till we meet in Paradise
.
Mr Mike

1 comment:

E @ Scottsville said...

Great poem.

Riley sure enjoyed the song you wrote for her the other day. You should've heard me "sing" it to her as I read it. You'd have been so proud!!!