Saturday, July 2, 2011

Discernment: blessing or curse?

Tell the truth, would you really want to know every time someone was lying to you?

Now I'm not talking about the kind of tales that were common when I was a kid. Not too many people had a TV back then, most everyone I knew had a radio set, though. Sometimes, if there was nothing else to do, later on that evening one of the uncles or neighbors would get a far-away gleam in his eye, and start up with;

"Well, I mind me of the time my buddy Rupert and me was campin' out late. Some sort of a ruckus came up, an' naturally we lit out to investigate. We seen a critter comin' an' we roped it in the dark. Struggled with that varmint for three whole days, let me tell you. When we finally got 'im tuckered out, we had us a 1200 pound jackalope. For the next 3 years, or so... we saddled 'im up an' rode 'im to all the shindigs here about. Impressed them ladies, too, let me tell you!"

The surroundings, the sparkle in the old man's eye and his grin always told us this was a "yarn," not to ever be confused with reality in any way shape or form. But this is not the type of untruth that makes the hair on the back of your neck shiver and makes you feel as though a cold wind is blowing. I thank God it doesn't happen often.

Discernment is not the most heavily mentioned "gift" in the bible. Sometimes, the reference is vague, at best.

"...You are like babies who drink only milk and cannot eat solid food. And a person who is living on milk isn't very far along in Christian life and doesn't know much about doing what is right. Solid food is for those who are mature, who have trained themselves to recognize the difference between right and wrong and then do what is right." (Heb 5:12-14)nlt

See what I mean, this is not much of a description. But this next is more to the point;

"Yes, the king will give us peace of mind again. I know that you are like an angel of God and can discern good from evil. May the Lord your God be with you." (2 Sam 14:17)nlt

Right from wrong, good from evil, there seems to be a pattern here.

" 'Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?' And the speech pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this thing. And God said unto him, 'Because thou hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor has asked the life of thine enemies; but has asked for thyself understanding to discern judgement; Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo I have given thee a wise and understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee.' " (1King 3:9-12)kjv

There never was, nor will there ever be, another Solomon. I am very thankful that God gave him this gift, he needed it. There are times, however, when I wish I had none of it. I am thankful it doesn't usually kick in, but when it does, the little bit of discernment I "enjoy" is very unsettling. Would you REALLY like to know when a cop was lying to you? How about your preacher or a cashier at the grocery store? We normally expect sleazy jerks to lie to us, though, that isn't the problem. If it is someone you trust, the stab is deep.

I once had a business appointment with a guy I thought I knew. As I walked up, I noticed his office door was open, so I stuck my head around the corner to announce myself. For about 2 seconds, I saw (at his desk) a human-sized outline with some substance that looked a bit lizard-like. It glanced my way with an annoyed look, then vanished. To this day, I feel I saw that guy's spirit controller. I've never trusted that man since. Rarely have I spoken of this with others, but several have told me that he has lied profusely to them, mostly about other people. Was it just discernment acting in my behalf? I suppose I'll have to ask God about it someday.

Remember this; God gives all of us various gifts. We have no control over which, or why. It is His choice. Make the most of what He's given you. Invest the "talent" on His behalf.

We can compare notes when we meet in Paradise!

No comments: