Saturday, July 9, 2011

I found this diary...

The other day, while I was walking to town to see what all the commotion was about last weekend, I found a diary beside the road. It doesn't say to whom it belongs, and a bunch of the pages are missing. This is all that's left...

-monday-
Now that my training is complete, I'm taking a few months off to tour the country. I am doing all I can to avoid the attention of the Roman soldiers, the tax collectors and various thieves who seem to have sprung up all over our nation.

Jeruba, my mom's sister, told me I should try to catch one of the lectures by this "Jesus" fellow. Everybody seems amazed at what he can do. They say he can read minds, tell the future and perform miracles! Personally, I think most people are easily fooled by these street magicians. Do you know, I've even heard he fed a huge crowd with just a basket of food he found some kid carrying? I think he must have had a secret stash someplace, just in case. You know what I mean?

-thursday-
I'm not making quite as much progress as I'd expected. Its almost time for the Passover feast. A local farmer has invited me to share his meager meal with his family. I readily agreed, as there is no way I could make it to the next town in time.

-friday-
Well, now it is tomorrow, already, so I'm on my way again. There is some excitement going on over in the next town, something about a criminal being brought to trial. I think I can just make it in time to see the execution, at least.

Whew! I am tired! I almost ran the entire last hour, trying to get here before the trial was over. What a shock! The "criminal" being tried is the same Jesus my aunt told me to find. They say he is impersonating God, and has declared himself the King, and outranks everyone in Rome, including Ceasar!

Well, they already beat him with their leaded whips. Blood is RUNNING down his back. They are saying he is about to be crucified with two other criminals. I am going to see if I can find a good place to watch.

Wow! They didn't just tie him to the cross-piece like they usually do. They NAILED him to it! I can't believe it. What do they think he's going to do, fly away?

You know, with all that blood running down from his wounds, he is not going to last long. Hey, he just spoke with one of the thieves who are crucified next to him. I sure wish I could hear what he said.

You are not going to believe this. He just said, in a VERY loud voice, "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit." I heard him as clear as a bell. Then the sky got dark, wind blew around madly, and lightning started flashing all over the place. I've never been so scared in all my life.

Near me was a centurian. You know those guys are as hard as nails, right? They are in charge of one hundred soldiers, and are as mean as they come. He started crying! Then I heard him say, "This was surely the Son of God!" I think maybe he was right! I'm getting out of here before God smashes this place to dust.

That's all there was. I don't know what to make of it. What do you think?

No comments: