Thursday, July 7, 2011

I stand at the door...

There is a kid's church song you've probably heard. The first line is, "Behold, behold, I stand at the door and knock, knock, knock." As you may surmise, it is biblically based.

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." (Rev 3:20)kjv

Think for a bit of what this implies, and why it makes such a great kid's song.

If Jesus is standing at the door, knocking, it is not open. Most importantly, He is not the one who closed it, either. All of us have placed something in between God and ourselves at some point in our lives. He is on the other side of our obstacle asking for us to let Him back in. He does not force us, He wants it to be voluntary on our part. Just as baptism is a volitional submission to His will, so is our renouncing the sin we have placed in the way.

So, why does this make such a great kid's song? Kids love and trust completely, until WE teach them not to.

Several months ago, a very sweet 4 year old girl came up to me while I was sitting at a bench. "I love you very much," she said, "will you be my friend?" (If you can find someone who'd say "No." to that request, check to see which hand he holds his pitchfork in.) This is the openness and trust that God wants us to have when we aproach Him. And yes, I now have a new best friend who is not yet 5.

Listen... He is knocking! Let Him in.

No comments: